Madison Square Garden was FILLED. That was crazy. I of course was sitting way in the back, but I could still see pretty well. First, a bagpipe and drums led the faculty deans/whoever to the stage and then they played a video montage thing about NYU, with some students telling us some “fun facts” I guess.
One of them was how we got our mascot, the Bobcat! Our library is named for someone, surname Bobst. NYU was the first public library in NY to change from a card catalog to online. So they took Bobst catalog and shortened it to Bobcat. Pretty cool, huh? Except I saw the mascot on the way into MSG [it gave me a high-five], and it was shorter than me I think.
Anyway, then some guy got up and introduces the deans and president and stuff. And I don’t really know what a provost does or is, but I think I want to be one. That sounds cool. I bet nobody else would know what they are or do, either, so they’d just always pretend to be impressed. Nice.
So the associate provost for enrollment management, Barbara Hall, presented the class to NYU President John Sexton. She told us that it was great that we were all accepted, but it doesn’t stop there. She said they will expect a great deal of us. [That’s good, that’s reinforcement for me, but will I be able to do it?]
Then President Sexton spoke to us, and the journalist in me was kicking myself that I didn’t have anything to take notes with. I won’t make that mistake again. He said some really cool things. He told us to watch out for one another and be there for each other in whatever way we can, like listening or giving somebody a hug when they need one. He said he would be happy to interrupt any conversation or on the street if we see him, to give a student a hug. He’s said he’s learned to ask people first if it’s OK, haha. And then this was sort of the icing on the cake to prove that NYU is the school for me: he had us all stand up and hug our neighbor! Haha, who does that?? But I’m not going to lie, it was pretty awesome.
So after he was done, a student gave a quick speech about welcome to NYU.
Then our famous alumni speech was given by Jesse L Martin, who was on “Law and Order” and in “Rent”. He said some really good things, too. He said to work hard, as hard as we can, and don’t complain, because it PAYS OFF. He said to be nice to everybody, because it PAYS OFF. He said he received a stellar education from NYU [which again reassured me that I would, too, that $55,000 is worth it].
They said to make the most of our time here, but to enjoy it, because it will never be like this again. College in New York City is a completely different experience, and nothing is like it. The city will still be here when we graduate, but it will not be the same as when we were students, loosed upon it. [That’s pretty much all I’ve been thinking about since I got accepted- there’s not enough time to do everything! How can they expect me to do it all in two short years here? Not even two full years, if I’m going home for summer.] They said to have a relationship with the city, because it will benefit us. I really enjoyed the two main speeches. [And yes- I WAS writing a speech story in my head as it was happening! You got a problem with that?]
Haha anyway, then we watched a musical. “The Reality Show: NYU”, in order to inform us and acquaint us with NYU services and issues we may face.
On a side note, we’ve been saying that I may or may not come home for Christmas; it depends if I have money for a flight, and how cheap I can get one. So Kelsie asked me on the phone the other day if I was going to have enough money to come home for the summer. Cute girl! OK that's it for now.
But P.S. -- I am intensely aware of my calf muscles! Haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment