Yes, this just opened in previews on Broadway. Yes, I got to
go on opening preview night. And yes, it was fantastic! This might be my new
favorite musical.
The audience was stoked to be watching; I think the applause
after the opening number lasted a full five minutes. The sets were awesome:
moveable staircases, gauzy projector screens, newsprint always visible
somewhere onstage. The dancing was amazing! They incorporated gymnastics and
ballet stuff, there was a short tap number. It was fun choreography. I liked
the story of course, because it was about the news industry, and it was in New
York. And the girl reporter’s solo number made me want to be a journalist
again. (Don’t worry, that probably won’t last.)
And we saw Alan Menken there! Just hanging out, rubbin’
elbows with folks who don’t even know who he is. Except the girl sitting behind
us did. She got him to autograph her playbill, which I admit is cool. But then
she started taking credit for all the changes since the previews outside of New
York. She’s delusional. And she thinks Alan Menken is coming to see her high
school production of “Beauty and the Beast” because — get this — he asked where
it was. (She is the drama teacher or something, so she’s directing it. No, I am
not making fun of a high schooler.)
Anyway, it was fantastic and everyone should see it! It was
fun, and I don’t doubt that part of it is because of Disney. I wish we could
live in a Disney world sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment