Monday, June 21, 2010

Weekend [not] at Bernie's

Friday night we went to see a show. It was called “The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity.” It was fantastic.
Ashley got some free tickets through her work, so of course she took me. Then we decided to ask Richard to go, because he always enjoys shows. Basically the only thing I knew about it was that it was sort of about wrestling. So I wasn’t stoked. But it wasn’t really about wrestling. Wrestling was just the vessel for the message [could that sound creepier or more cult-ish? haha].

The stage was very interesting; it was the first thing you notice as you’re sitting down. It was big and bright and there were two TVs above a wrestling ring that they used throughout the play. Almost all the actors broke the fourth wall at some point, even going so far as to interact with some of the audience members, which was great. The writing was fantastic [it was nominated for a Pulitzer]. And the actors were great!
It was off Broadway, and it closed after about a month, but they’re trying to get it picked up on Broadway, so that would be cool.
Saturday we tried to go to the Mermaid Parade at Coney Island. We got there about an hour after it started, and there were so many people that I couldn’t see anything. So we wandered around the boardwalk/pier for awhile, and then when we headed back to the parade, it was over. So we stood in line for Nathan’s for forever. And even though we didn’t see much of the parade, we saw plenty of other weirdos there just to watch it. Sadly I don’t have any pictures to share, though.
Yesterday, Ryan came to Ashley’s to hang out with us for awhile, which is always a good time [he’s a comedian].  Then we went for a walk and I ended up walking all the way back to where I was staying. [It really wasn’t that far — like 30 of the short blocks. And we stopped for a bit in Washington Square Park, so no big deal. Plus Ashley almost walked to Central Park, which would’ve been crazy!]
So I stayed with my visiting teacher the last couple nights, and I’ve learned something about myself. I have to have a regular-sized bathroom, or I’d go absolutely crazy. You know in “Elf” when they show huge Will Ferrell trying to shower in the little elf shower? That’s exactly how I felt in this bathroom! It was made for dolls or something. I was trying to wash my hair and my face was in the wall. And you can barely wash your hands at the sink because the toilet is right in front of it. Not for me, that’s for sure. I guess it’s a good thing my visiting teacher is so small.
So that was my weekend. And start of today. Hope everyone had a good Father’s Day and happy birthday, Denise!

2 comments:

Nana said...

What?..It sounds like a 'fun-size' bathroom!

Anonymous said...

So....you couldnt see anything, huh? Was it, I dont know, because you're SHORT!!! ahaahhahah! <33 ya!!
And also; you dont think 30 "small blocks" is a lot? Even if they are, as you said, "small"? I would be dying!!!
Miss ya!
-Babe