Monday, March 15, 2010

Oh, New York, how you have changed [me]

Moving all the way across the country changes a girl. Here are some I’ve noticed. [Mostly superficial stuff; nothing really character or personality related. Those things have changed too, for the much better, I just didn’t really write about them here.]

So I got back after Christmas break and the first day I went to class, I came out at my normal Bleecker Street stop. I noticed half the street was no longer blocked off, because they had apparently finished construction. Until I walked up to West Fourth and found that street almost completely blocked off. So ... psych! Haha how silly of me — New York is always constructing something.

I also now carry a purse everywhere, because I have to have my wallet with my Metrocard, ID and keys at all times.

I wear nylons to church! Haha I hate nylons, but it’s been cold here, so sort of necessary.

I also don’t wear earrings anymore. Well, hardly ever. Quick story to illustrate: I wore some to PS 2 the other day and the teacher I work with noticed, because she said I usually don’t wear any. I laughed and told her I did all the time in California; I love earrings. But I haven’t worn them so much since winter started here, because they get caught in my scarf. So I’m looking forward to when I can wear them every day again.
*BONUS: Thomas said some earrings I wore the other day looked like jelly bellys. And I wore a different pair to PS 2 and two of the kids said they liked my earrings. They are the most dangly pair I have, which I think is funny.

I have no desire to go to newspaper staff parties anymore. In fact, I did go to a couple last semester and after just being there, I felt as sick as if I’d actually been drinking, too. OK, not as sick, but close enough for me to get the point.

I took a New York attitude with a lady on the subway stairs! I was behind her, and kind of in a rush, and she was going slower than I wanted her to. But then she gets to the second to last stair and stops! I was like what the heck? So I said excuse me in kind of an annoyed voice, and pushed past her a little. Then she said sorry in a genuine voice, and then I felt bad. I got on the train and was like, did I just do that? Yes, I did.

Also something I never do: give directions. But at least a dozen people have asked me since I’ve been here, and usually I can help them out with about 92 percent correctness. Yay me! :)

I appreciate California weather!! Oh my goodness. Big change for me. I may also actually be starting to miss it. Gasp.

This one is my favorite, because I think it’s so funny. When I first got here, I was kind of worried about being alone all the time and finding my way around and stuff, and being especially careful at night. [I’m very careful at night, don’t worry.] But I specifically remember one night, like the first or second week, where I tried to get on the NYU bus. I didn’t know how they worked yet, so I asked if it was going to Lafayette and it wasn’t. It was almost 9 and I didn’t want to wait around, because I didn’t know how they worked, so I walked home. And I remember being so nervous, and taking Broadway because I knew it would be really populated, and then praying that I’d be safe as I went down the side street just north of my building to get to Lafayette, and then being so thankful that I made it and everything.
But now! Now, I avoid Broadway at all costs because it’s so populated, with too many tourists who stop in the middle of the sidewalk to snap pictures of all the great stores in SoHo.
And I don’t think anything of being alone at night until at least midnight, and then my thought is, “Man, I’m gonna have to wait forever for a train!” Then I figure out what day it is and what time it is so I can gauge how many people will be at the club a block up, or if I should be nervous, or what. So I usually remedy the situation by staying at Amber and Ashley’s [‘cause that’s usually where I am anyway].

More changes will continue to happen, I'm sure. But chew on these for awhile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"That is such a different approach to take." Also, your accuracy couldn't be a little better than 92%? I mean you have been living there since September! :p

Unknown said...

Hi o Charlye Cat! Finally got on the blog! Yay progress. I was most amused by your incident on the subway stairs. Too funny. Girl with a heart of gold trying to get a NY attitude. Love you and miss you. 90 degrees out today ha ha.
Uncle Warren