Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Halloween on Christmas

I’m not a huge fan of Halloween, but I can appreciate some festivities. For the whole month of October, one of the girls in my ward was plugging the stake Halloween dance as the best event of the year that everyone goes to and is awesome. Of course I was skeptical, for many reasons. She’s a nanny, I’m pretty sure she’s from Utah, and I don’t dance. I avoid stake dances at all costs. In fact, because I don’t want to pay the cost!

But we ended up going at about 10 p.m. on Halloween, because of how much publicity this thing was getting. We didn’t have to pay for it; it was free. And boy was I right: It was LAME. Sorry, stake dance, but I’m just being honest.

We ended going to this other party near Amber and Ashley’s place, and that was pretty lame, too. We were standing in the foyer of the apartment, and we couldn’t hear the music. Whaaaat?? Doesn’t seem like much of a party, right? That’s what I said.

I would have been content just to ride the subway all night long. That’s where all the interesting stuff was — that’s where you could see all the costumes!

So here is a list of some of the best costumes I saw on Halloween [you can interpret best however you want]:

- Edward Scissorhands!
- The boy from Up [Russell] — he had on a Boy Scout shirt and was carrying some balloons.
- The silver balloon boy from the news — tied a silver balloon to himself, and his shirt said “Put my parents on TV”
- A whole family as Wizard of Oz [at the family ward Halloween party]: mom was Wicked Witch, dad was scarecrow, son was Tin Man, daughters were Dorothy, the Lion, and a flying monkey.
- The seven dwarfs
- A couple as the Joker and Harley Quinn
- Max! [from “Where the Wild Things Are”]
- The Orbit gum girl [“A good, clean feeling — no matter what!” Plus she gave us gum to clean up our dirty mouths.]
- Abraham Lincoln [two of him!]
- Ursula and Triton
- A New York City tourist [I knew the girl. That was funny. Reminded me of when Dad was a Disneyland tourist!]
- Three bananas [yes, they were together. No they were not in pajamas. One little boy from PS 2 was, though — so cute!]
- Charlie and Willy Wonka! :)

I think that may be all I can remember... Hope I’m not forgetting anything good.

So now I love Halloween in New York City. I think next year I’m actually going to just ride the subway all night. Who’s with me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you saw Ursula and Triton! You never told me that. That's awesome! Also, I'm not quite sure I understand the silver balloon boy. I don't know who that is. And I will totally ride the subway with you next Halloween. That sounds great.

Giggles621 said...

Yeah, of course the stake dance was lame! hahah. and my favorite is Russell. Or probably. . . Edward Scissorhands. way cool.